DMK - Deutsches Milchkontor (German Dairy Producers Organisation)
Efficient dispatch route related order collation in BITO pallet live storage racking
With a staff of 7,400 operating in 26 locations in 10 federal states, DMK is the biggest dairy processing company in Germany. The two merging companies Humana and Nordmilch, both with their roots in cooperative organisations, were already Germany’s largest milk processors. The post-merger company DMK will process 6.8 billion kilos of milk, supplied by 8.900 active milk producers. International trade organisations, food processing companies and wholesalers count among DMK's customers. The dairy processor provides a wide range of products covering several categories such as basic milk products and cheese, milk-based ingredients for food and drink manufacturers, baby food, ice cream and health products. Offering brands such as MILRAM, Humana, Biolabor and NORMI, DMK Deutsches Milchkontor is a major player in Germany and in 100 other countries and a reliable partner for traders and consumers.
- Increase the available storage capacity by some 500 storage positions.
- Make better use of available storage space at the existing premises, thus eliminating the need for a new building.
- Provide ready-collated orders in a racking facility in the goods-out department in order to reduce throughput times.
- Allow mixed use of European standard pallets and H1 plastic pallets.
- Multi-level storage
» For optimal use of available floor space and vertical space, the customer opted for a 4-tier pallet live storage facility.
Storage facility features
- The new BITO live storage facility accommodates goods grouped into dispatch route related batches.
- These tour batches are provided in a pallet live storage rack right at the loading docks.
- FIFO stock rotation
- The floor level is used as “take away” supply: drivers can conveniently pick and load their tour batches without any help.
- Pallets can be retrieved with an electric hand pallet truck.
- The upper racking levels are used as product buffer, allowing to make full use of the available warehouse height.
- The lanes have been equipped with roller conveyors that accept European standard pallets and H1 plastic pallets alike.
- The requirement to increase storage capacity was met with a pallet live storage facility which makes excellent use of space.
- The customer did not have to invest money into a new building.
- Tour preparation is a lot more efficient now.
- Lorry waiting times are eliminated, since picked goods have already been collated by sort keys such as customer or dispatch route.
- Read, travel and pick times are substantially reduced.